above is a screenshot of my current setup :)
it’s an awesome experience so far.
i have pretty much moved my daily operation to this machine. added two drives, one for music, the other as a staging area between my downloading machine and my unraid server (since i do some manipulation on the files i get).
these are the apps i generally use
chrome is very lightweight here, and i haven’t seen it crash yet. opera is pretty good as well, firefox consumes a lot of memory and safari, i didn’t quite try
i’m evaluating different music players
i’ve pretty much settled on MPlayer OSX Extended for movies
had to install xnview, didn’t quite find the same functionality in other apps.
- having unix underpinnings is just huge. i’m a developer so it’s so great to be able to do unix stuff at the terminal iTerm 2
- installing applications either from the mac app store or downloaded from the internet is so cool and simple
- the general awesomeness of it all.
- im using a pc keyboard, so i’m still getting used to the shortcuts
- i haven’t found a replacement for 7zip. keka is just not there for me.
FINDER … i find it cumbersome to use … to perform simple operations i need a ton of windows open and then use some keyboard shortcuts … i’ve installed muCommander, magican file, path finder, total finder … but not decided yet what to use … then there are like a ton of views in finder .. and none seems really useful to me 8)
but overall, i’m impressed and love my hackmac !